Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Essie, Opi and Seche Vite forever...the perfect mani/pedi

I love having my nails done but often with germs, outbreaks and what not, it is sometimes safer to do it at home.

There are 4 must have's for the perfect manicure and pedicure.

1. Tools
2. Base Coat
3. Quick Dry Top Coat
4. Nailpolish

For your tools, I highly suggest you go to your favorite high end nail salon and ask to buy a new set of tools to keep at the salon that only you use. Buy an additional set for yourself to use at home. Make sure to buy nail clippers, cuticle nippers and cuticle pusher/under nail bed cleaner in stainless steel. I prefer the Vietnamese brand Nghia. If you don't want to order online or your local salon doesn't carry this brand, try Tweezerman.

I LOVE Essie's First Base base coat for $8.00 which is now being discontinued. I continue to buy it on Ulta or Ebay. It's amazing the way it bonds with nailpolish and makes my manicures last a full 10 days with the first chips starting to show on Day 6/7. It has this adhesive quality that makes your nailpolish stick but when you remove your nailpolish, even red it comes off in a snap without staining. How awesome is that?

I LOVE Seche Vite's Top Coat for $9.95. You can buy this at any beauty supply store like Ulta. It literally sets your nailpolish (base coat + two coats of color) within 5 minutes and 15 minute for it to be totally hard enough to shower, do dishes or dig through your bag for your keys without worries. Bonus points for the high shine factor which makes your manicure keep looking fresh. Gone are the days of waiting an hour for your fingernails to dry. Yah for technology.

Nail polish wise, I waiver between OPI and Essie. I prefer OPI for standard colors esp darks and reds. For natural or bright trendy colors, I prefer Essie. OPI tends to be thicker so they don't last as long once opened. Essie tends to be more watery but also chips more easily so there are trade off's. Either way, both brands are great but you just have to find the right color for you.

My favorites are:

OPI-The Thrill of Brazil
OPI-Black Cherry Chutney
OPI-Lincoln After Dark
Essie-Watermelon
Essie-Snap Happy
Essie-Russian Roulette
Essie-Set in Stones
Essie-Carnival
Essie-Ballet Slippers
Essie-Limo-Scene
Essie-Waltz

No comments:

Post a Comment