Sunday, August 24, 2014

Amman and Petra, Jordan: Day Eleven (11/30)

The weather is def. a lot colder in Jordan. We actually needed more than just a windbreaker to keep warm esp. in the early morning hours. It felt like we were back in SF with the misty fog and wind. I loved it. I love when it's cold in the mornings when you are having a hot cup of coffee and getting ready for your day.

We started out with breakfast at our hotel, the Marriott Amman. I loved breakfast here. Finally, we had properly crisped hash browns and non-watery eggs. They also still had my beloved foul so it was the perfect mix of Egyptian and US foods.


Again, we were off for another epic 3 hour journey. Ugh. For once, I wished we were in a tour group instead of on a private tour so there would be someone to talk to! FYI, Jamous is not the best driver either. I had to ask him several times to not gas it and then brake as it made me very car sick. I honestly thought I was going to hurl several times. Luckily, I brought along some candies to suck on and some prescription pills.

3 hours later with a coffee break for Jamous, we arrived at Petra. I was beyond excited to finally fulfill a childhood dream. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Petra after I found out it was a real place and not some Hollywood set for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I never thought in my lifetime I would be able to go to the Middle East with my Mom given the culture and the state of unrest. This was the highlight of my entire trip.



We started out with a short horseback ride to the base of Petra. These were absolutely gorgeous horses. They were well kept but tame enough for non experienced riders to enjoy the experience. I even convinced my Mom to sit on a horse even though she only did it for the picture. Pro tip: Make sure when you are around horses is NEVER to walk behind them. Horses can kick their legs at any moment and their legs are incredibly powerful. You can break a bone, so make sure to remind people you are with to not walk too closely behind a horse. I had to keep reminding my Mom as even though the horses looked tame, if startled they are dangerous.





After our 15-20 minute and some time for photos, we started to walk through the trail to get to the base of Petra. For those of you who are disabled or unable to walk long distances, they have a horse driven carriage you can take. Along the walk you will notice a lot of rock formations, amazing colors and even find Nemo. Take time to enjoy the sceneary beyond your camera. In the early morning hours, the tour groups from cruise ships and what not have not yet arrived so it is a very peaceful and serene walk. After about 1 hour (downhill), you will finally see, Petra, the Treasury where Indiana Jones was filmed. The moment I saw it, I literally gasped. It was more beautiful that pictures or a video can depict. It's pretty amazing. There isn't anything inside like in the movie but the outside was more grand and in better shape in terms of preservation that I thought.








In front of the Treasury you will see a lot of local people offering camels rides and selling their wares. We chose to walk around and take our time to enjoy the sights. Upon our walk, we met women who had made camel bone necklaces, which I of course bought 3. They love American cosmetics so be prepared to give up your cosmetics for their local fares. I was approached several times for my lipstick despite being used.











One of the highlights of the trip was meeting Marguerite Van Geldermasen, the author of, Married to a Bedouin, son Rami. He was warm and inviting and told us some stories about growing up in Petra.




From there we kept walking towards the Ad Deir, or the monastery.







Finally, we needed to walk back. I personally love walking and would prefer that to sitting on some poor animal. My Mom was a trooper and walked the entire 3 hours back with me. We stopped in front of the treasury for one final pictures since the sun was setting and it was much better lighting. Childhoold dream fulfilled. I was happy as a clam and so happy that I could share this experience with my Mom.

We were pooped after walking in the hot, dusty sand all day. We checked into our hotel, the Marriott Petra and shared some obligatory nachos. I inhaled it so fast, I didn't even have time for a picture, but I did take a picture of the hotel. Yup, we love our nachos. Then it was off for a hot shower and some much needed sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment